Monday, June 24, 2013

Day 5 Homework: Research Findings

Click. Find. Share. 

In the comments, share something you learned from your research today. Feel free to include links to interesting sites. Also, take some time to look through the information shared by your peers. Comment on at least one other post. 

40 comments:

  1. Today I learned that in 2010, 36% of immigrant households and their U.S. born children lacked health insurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fact is interesting and gets me really thinking about how immigrants do not get the benefits that they deserve.

      Delete
  2. While researching I learned that families that take time to spend with each other by simply eating dinner together had a great affect on teens. It declined the rates of depression, anxiety, substance abuse, adolescent tobacco use, and eating disorders; it also had a great affect positively with their academic achievement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it is really shocking what just eating dinner together can do! My family doesn't eat dinner together as often as we should, but now I think we need to start.

      Delete
    2. I am actually surprised by how many positive effects having dinner as a family could have on teens.

      Delete
    3. Wow, that is truly amazing that a simple meal could better an individual. I myself do not eat dinners with my family, but it would be a great thing to begin doing.

      Delete
    4. Wow, I was shocked to see that a simple meal can have such an impact on a teenager. I didn't ever think about that. I had always taken that time for granted.

      Delete
  3. Today I learned that 22.7 percent of children in Illinois live in food insecure households and that one out of every five kids struggle with hunger in America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, I learned that in 2007, A&F posted that it had $3.8 billion as a net sale. They did this with their "sexual advertising" in their magazines and commercials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find this fact extremely interesting and sadly not surprising. The blatant sexual implications in many commercials, movies and ads is sickening. I think this is a powerful statement that can reach men and women as it applies to both.

      Delete
  5. Today I learned that in the U.S, high school dropouts commit about 75 percent of all crimes which is pretty high if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did they drop out of high school because they were likely to commit crimes? Was it just in them to not be successful and cause trouble?

      Delete
    2. Is that 75 percent of highschool dropouts commit crimes or 75 percent of all crimes commited are from highschool dropouts?

      Delete
  6. Today I learned that the murder rate is nearly four times as much in Chicago than in NYC, also it is almost three times as much as LA. The interesting thing is that Chicago's population is three times smaller than NYC's and nearly half of LA's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? that really surprises me, LA and New York are a lot bigger but have a lot less crime? You should check out the proportion to Detroit.

      Delete
  7. An interesting fact that I learned about my topic today was that 95 percent of teens are on a social media network. Out of that 95 percent only 2.7 percent post or talk about political events and only 52 percent said that they had some type of news one or more times a week. Another study on teen ignorance was that 25 percent of teens don't know what July 4th really is, 14 percent said that it is the day we declared independence from France and the other 11 percent said we declared independence from Canada. This is the future of our great country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty funny, one of the most celebrated holidays.. and no one knows why. That reminds me of a discussion i heard of Cinco de Mayo same issue people just dont take the time to educate themselves

      Delete
    2. This seems to say a lot about the way that the social media network has been able to corrupt our minds, making us as a country go backwards instead of forward.

      Delete
  8. Today while researching i learned that only 27.2 percent of all Americans have an actual college degree, that's barley 1/4 of Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today I learned that teenage insecurity can serve as a gateway to things such as drugs, alcohol, sex, gangs, etc. Many teens resort to these things in order to fit in or cope with the effects of insecurity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something interesting I learned today is that African Americans make up 15% of the college-aged population, but make up only 5% of graduates at the top 400 colleges and universities.
    Similarly, Latinos make up 18% of the college-aged population, yet make up only 6% of graduates at the top 400 colleges and universities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting fact that I learned while doing research was that the number of GED holders has increased from 2000-2001. In 2000-2001 the number of GED holders was 2,357,300 and out of those millions of people, 296,890 people had enrolled in college. Meanwhile in 2009-2010, 2,459,400 people had gotten their GED and 413,400 people had been enrolled in college. Gradually people are starting to realize their educating is a key part of being successful in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about time! Thankfully model-teachers are doing their part to inform students of the reality of their decisions such as taking the easy way of life and not receiving an education. Sadly, it takes a student to drop out and obtain a GED before they realize that attending college is really where the educational achievement lies.

      Delete
  12. While researching today, I found out that 56% of teens that are being bullied and cyber bullied don't speak up to an adult or anyone for help, which also leads to suicide and depression from lack of communication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What these bullied teens don't realize is that communication is key in order to stop their suffering.

      Delete
  13. A couple astonishing statistics I found while doing research was that 8,300 students drop out of high school each day, and a total of 3,030,000 students drop out annually. My only response to this was- wow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I never thought that so many students dropped out of high school each day. Now everyday I will think on how many kids are throwing away their future.

      Delete
    2. WOW! That is an awful lot of students that don't get a high school diploma, which makes their jobs and pay low! They think school isn't used in the real world, but it is!

      Delete
    3. That really is an astonishing number. Many of these kids do not realize how hard life will be from now on now that more and more employers are not only looking for a high school diploma but also a college degree.

      Delete
  14. Today I found out that many school systems lack systems like service learning which allows students to connect what they learn with the real world and without this students are more likely to have information go in one ear and out the other because they really have not applied it to their lives making it personal and an experience not just a fact.

    ReplyDelete
  15. While researching, I found that there is a constitution for Human Rights. I didn't really know anything about human rights but looking at the constitution you can learn a lot. Here's a shortened version http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/ABCannexesen.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  16. Today I learned that family involvement has to do a lot. 70% of children are born into single parent families within minorities. Which causes the children to grow up without a role model and follow the wrong steps of older children.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Today I learned that Google was created by an immigrant that came here to America, and also that last year 409,849 people were deported from America. Out of those 409,849, 55 percent of them were convicted of crimes such as drugs offenses and driving under the influence.

    ReplyDelete
  18. According to a survey some 70 percent of people can't even name the two senators that represent their state in congress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not suprising, most people have no political awareness

      Delete
  19. I learned that there are many theories of prejudice, like the scapegoat theory. The scapegoat theory states that it is human nature to try to find someone to blame for problems during hard times in order to allow psychological relief from hardships, much like what is happening between different ethnic groups in America right .now

    ReplyDelete
  20. Today while researching, I learned that many adults, not just teenage girls, suffer from eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia and that a small percentage of men also suffer from these disorders.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i learned that part of the reason teens spend a lot more time with peers and in social media is because of changes to society over the last hundred years. A hundred years ago teens didnt go to school everyday, they went to work or worked on a farm, but now school allows for teens to create many relationships and make them want to keep these, so they get involved in social media.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Something I stumbled upon while doing research was on an article that described "social facts" as nothing more than subjective ideas, that require other subjective ideas in order to make sense. Does this not make sense? To me it does, it shows that the reality we have created is not the real reality, only one that our mind has created.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I learned that 1/50 people has mental spwcial needs.

    ReplyDelete