Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 1 Homework: Social Justice

Think about the following questions. Take some time to respond to these questions in the comments. 

What does social justice mean to you personally? 

What are some social justice issues you are passionate about and why? 

Do you know of any social justice initiatives taking place in current events? If so, explain. 

24 comments:

  1. Social justice to me personally to me means equality of rights for all people,, no matter their race, religion, gender or social background. A social justice that I am passionate about is bullying. This is a problem that has swept the nation and needs to stop. Many kids have caused themselves harm because of it and have even taken their lives because of this problem. People need to stop judging each other because of the way they look or act.

    ReplyDelete

  2. To me social justice means equal rights for all of the people in a community. This means that race, gender, and sexual orientation are not factors because everyone is entitled to their own opinions and their own lives.
    Some social justice topics that concern me are child hunger in the U.S., bullying, cyberbullying, domestic violence, and violence in schools. These topics concern me because they involve children and let's face it children are the furure.
    The only social justice initiative that I have heard of so far is Project Soapbox, but im sure that there are laws against discimination and certain rules in schools with zero tolerance for bullying or any other kind of violence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I believe social justice means giving unbiased, fair, and equal rights to a community thus uniting them in a way where people can express themselves freely. A social justice topic that I've seen unfold is cyber bullying. It's bad enough that kids get bullied in school but now bullying doesn't just stop when school ends because now there are ways to bully people on the internet.This is a problem that should be solved because it isn't right to put kids through that and people really need to treat others the same way they want to be treated.I haven't heard of any social justice initiatives for this issue besides the one we are doing right now which is Project Soapbox, but I know there are tons of programs that provide help against regular and cyber bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Social justice for me is the rational and unbiased rights of every individual in any given location. I further emphasize the "unbiased" part which means that age, gender, ethnicity, and all that good stuff is not a limiting factor for your rights. Some social justice issues I am very concerned about are immigration issues that have been very consistent these few past years. I am concerned about these issues because when immigration is talked about or even mentioned, racial slurs are present as a result of that conversation.
    Presently, I am only aware of is the UIC "project" to get the word out to all that equality is important among every ethnicity and every social class, this group of people consists of rich, poor, latino, white,etc. Even though I am not very aware of the initiatives being taken in my nearby community, I would love to hear others' knowledge of groups or organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Social justice, in my own words, means a society where everyone, no matter what race, gender, age, religion, etc., aren't separated in terms of freedom, rights, and opportunities. I am very passionate about the issue of racism. Personally, racism doesn't harm me, but it does irritate me (which might be a form of harm). Whenever I'm doing a certain activity such as playing guitar, people tend to assume that I'm naturally good because I'm Asian. Not necessarily true. I had to practice a lot to be at least decent at playing, and it took a lot of work, and that credit is being taken away simply because I'm from Asia, and Asians are assumed to be good at many things. Maybe you're complimenting, but it can be received in the wrong way. I don't know of any initiatives being taken with this issue, but there must be something out there that I could know about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Aren. You're absolutely right, the harm does not need to be physical - the harm is often mental and emotional.
      This is such a vast topic with many different facets, I highly encourage you to investigate what initiatives or groups are out there discussing this issue!

      Delete
  7. Personally to me, I see social justice as a way of letting anyone be heard about their concerns no matter who they are or where they come from. They are able to say what they are thinking without being ridiculed for their ideas. There are probably tons of social justice issues that I am very passionate about, but the one that stands out the most for me is bullying. It may be the most common issue everyone hears about, but for me it's personal. I have had to deal with bullying all my life, and I'm not exaggerating. Imagine having a tiny, little kindergardener walk into their first day of kindergarden only to be shot down by their peers calling them ugly, stupid, and worthless. Pretty harsh for kindergardeners, but it's true. That is what I had to deal with when I was just five years old. Although bullying is very common, I take it very seriously considering my long history of it. This topic gets my attention everytime because of the vast majority of kids having to deal with the pain sometimes physically and emotionally brought on by their peers. Although I don't know of any specific kinds, I strongly believe in and support all those programs and campaigns for anti-bullying and equality. I also believe in the numerous people out there willing to lend a shoulder to anyone out there in need of care. Those people and organizations help everyday kids just like me get over bullying and fight it. Those are the ones bringing unity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To me social justice is when a group of similar people come up with a final solution that is fair, unbiased, and nondiscriminatory. An issue I'm really passionate about is deportation. Everyday many immigrants are deported without fair representation and are being separated from loved ones. From adults to infants, deportation is always a threat to undocumented immigrants. An initiative currently taking place is the immigration reform. Politicians are taking a step forward to allow undocumented immigrants to become U.S. citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Social justice to me means that everyone in society is equal no mater their standings and has the right to their own views. One issue that I personally see as important is how society views family. This issue is important to me because my stepmom and my half sister are both not related to me by blood but to me they practically are. Overall, I would like to change society's idea of family to a close group of people who love each other no matter the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Social justice means to me is for the community to take charge and make sure that law is being correctly followed and that citizens are entitled to get equal rights and services in the community. A social justice issue that I am passionate about is that some people in the community get paid with out the government knowing and the government doesn't take taxes out of these wages. These people get paid more money because the government doesn't know what they are doing and usually these citizens also get welfare and other government aid even though it is not needed or entitled to these people. A social justice initiatives taking place in current events is Obama's Heath Care bill for everyone in the community to have equal healthcare and services.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Social Justice to me is equality in society for all people are groups on all scales. In schools, in a town, or in the entire world. Equality for every individual and every group.

    A social Justice issue I am passionate about is how unfair the music program has been treated in RLHS and how unfair music programs have been treated all over the nation. In our school and all over school funding is given to athletics while music programs suffer. While our athletics gets a health center and continues to expand its equipment our music program cant even afford a working piano.

    Currently there is a movement to "stomp out the R word." A movement to raise social awareness for the mentally challenged and the incorrect use of the word retard or retarded. Retarded means slow and is the correct and medical term for the mentally retarded. Society had sadly made this a word for dumb or stupid, so no calling a special ed student retarded you are not wrong by text book, but you are using it as the word queer is used for gay, even though it means odd. With a different intent the the word originally meant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To me, social justice means that the people should improve their community so that everyone can live a better life. Some social justice issues that i am passionate about are improving our schools. School is where kids and teenagers spend most of their day, and if the school is trashed or not respected then they will show less dedication to their education. Since our school isn't the best out there, other schools tend to think less of us. They think that the students aren't as intelligent. We need to take more care of our schools to better the students future. we need to respect the school. But also we need to respect the students. They need to feel welcomed at school. Everyone needs to be respected such as staff, students and janitors. Right now, they school board might start a project to expand the high school. Even now the school is too small for everyone who goes there. Each class is getting bigger and bigger, and if they don't expand the school then there will be no room in classrooms for students.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To me, social justice means equality among society. It means taking a stand against inequalities and fighting for fairness. I've seen many issues concerning marriage equality and bullying, both of which I feel strongly about. I am passionate for the LGBT community and I personally think that bullying is something that should be eliminated from society. Regarding marriage equality issues, I believe that all people should have the right to love whoever he or she wants to love, and that no one should put these people down for who they are or who they are in a relationship with. As for bullying, I strongly feel that no person of any race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., should be bullied for a trait or characteristic that the person cannot change about his or herself. No person should feel superior or inferior towards another person. This does not say "equality and fairness" to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Personally, social justice is a means of achieving an unbiased, equal, and overall better community through society's actions as a whole. One issue that needs to be resolved is the fact that young adults don't take the time to notice what is going on in the world around them and because of this bothers open your mind and your ideas walking through the halls I hear endless information about such trivial matters, such as who's going out with who. But ask any of these people about things going on in the world or express any skepticism towards what these people talk about and they will immediately try to take you down. If you introduce a new idea to these people, they won't take the time to listen or ponder it, because it's too'lame' and because of this they don't ever get to expand their minds. This should not be happening as often as it does.
    I think that Schuler is actually a good example of an initiative in this case, because others listen to what each scholar has to say and we stay informed of the events that are happening around us, and in turn we can let our minds grow.However, I have not heard of anything else that would try to change this attitude that is becoming so prevalent among the teenage population.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To me personally social justice means unbiased views within a societal atmosphere varying from something as small as a home to as big as the world. An issue in societal justice that I feel passionately about is "reverse racism" such as the racism towards asians, caucasians, or any other ethnic group where racism is normally not thought to be an issue. I feel as if it is continually overlooked by the media, and really most people for that matter, and the most ironic thing as the majority of the people that are these so called "reverse racists" are people from the ethnic groups normally thought to fall under the typical discriminatory cloud, which frankly doesn't make them any better than any other racist out there. Personally this sort of racism doesn't bother me, and I just accept it for something that will always be there, but this is and issue currently taking place whether you believe it or not, and it should be addressed. Another point that I would like to bring up directly related to this one is the enormous amount of scholarships out there for Hispanics and African Americans, that segregate caucasians, and this bothers me because I know that those two groups aren't very predominate in colleges, or they may have money trouble getting into college, but I don't think race decides that anymore for God's sake we're in the U.S. in the 21 century, and it shouldn't be implied that because I'm white that I'm just gonna fly into college with everything served to me on a silver platter, and that im not going to have financial difficulties. That's about enough of my rant, just thought I throw a rock into the pebbles, and give people a new perspective.
    Currently I am not aware of any social justice initiatives taking place, or I just can't think of any at this point, but I would love to hear about some

    ReplyDelete
  16. Social justice to me means a way of expressing an opinion without any violence.To be heard through a powerful element that we all have, the voice and gain equality. Discrimination gets stronger with the help of racism and bullying, which are some social justice issues that I am passionate about.Some people feel uncomfortable when entering a store because they get a stare of not wanted.Others can't put a foot inside of a school because they will get treated badly by kids who don't like them.This all needs to stop, with the help of social justice initiatives, but the only on that I have heard of so far is Project Soapbox.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe that social justice is the view that all of society deserves equal rights in which these rights are valued. An issue brought to my attention and therefore concerns me is the fact that society today views equal rights as simply allowing others to speak their minds as long as peace is maintained. Although this is necessary, social justice shouldn't end there. I believe our peers' opinions deserve to be accepted and also listened to. We all deserve a fair chance to speak and be heard. A great way to develop and promote this idea of being heard and listened to would be to set up an open mike so to speak at every city hall where citizens are able to safely and effectively voice their opinions about important topics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. To me social justice contains people that are able to cooperate and work together to resolve issues in a civilized manner, with respect for each individual in a manner that expresses the sense that everyone should be treated equally. One social justice issue that really reaches out to me is that the human race does not function as a unit. Instead, we separate ourselves into countries that do not work together. Every country works for itself unless it can benefit in some way by being involved with another country. Although there have been moments where countries do come together to help a country in need, but that is only if a country has been through a terrible calamity. Is this really how we unite, through catastrophe? I believe that our race should think together, not by countries. The closest thing that I can think of that is somehow trying to unite our separate countries is the U.N., but in my opinion it doesn't do much. I believe this because people still tend to hate others, for something a country did. We divide ourselves and form our own ranks, which lead to wars, or selfish acts. You can base discrimination off of skin color or distinct features that can describe a certain race, but think of their geographical origin that we made, and how we have classified them. We do nothing but make everything artificial, and cause havoc because of it, creating problems that are unnecessary. We are all humans, and we should not isolate ourselves, because as a unit we can do more, achieve more, achieve greatness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luis, I applaud you for taking on such a large, difficult topic. This is so important because it affects everyone in every sense of the word.
      One thing particularly fascinating is how you use the term "race" to mean "the human race." This goes to show how our words hold many different definitions, and defining every piece of the puzzle matters.

      Delete
  20. Social Justice to me means the fairness and equality among a community or society, where everyone is treated with and given the same rights, opportunities, and guidelines. It would be an injustice if anything, no matter how insignificant, upset the balance of equality among the people. An issue that is current and very prominent is that of racism and prejudice in society. although much has been changed it still lies among the community. I'm not talking about racist jokes or puns, those will always exist, but I'm talking about things like African Americans specifically not getting hired because of their skin. This can also expand to a company only hiring one or a few "minorities" to appear to not fall under the bracket of racism, but these hired "minorities" are still subject to a harder job and less pay. There are initiatives to combat this, but as i said before, employers will just find loopholes and still not give the same respects and rights of social justice to those they consider "minorities"

    ReplyDelete
  21. BY MONICA

    Social Justice:
    To me, that means the rights and issues in a community that everyone agrees to, or is mutual on. Some issues I am passionate about are: bullying, discrimination, sexism, and equality. I am passionate about bullying because I have been bullied at a small portion of my life; I also think it is very unfair and horrible to see little children, and everyday kids suffer in such a violent matter. For discrimination, I believe everyone, no matter what color of skin, or their racial background should not be judged upon. Just because one person from their race did something does not mean they should stamp the race as a whole to that action. For Sexism, I honestly don't appreciate the fact that, not only women, but men get stamps on them. The stereotype "guys are stronger than girls" has been stamped these two sexes for many generations, and it hurts (most of the times) women. For equality, I believe everyone should be treated equal, no matter the sex, age, or race. If God had created everyone equally, then why does society continue to put people into "classes?"
    I know that the Make.A.Wish Foundation and World Wrestling Entertainment have joined together to make a new Anti-bullying program called Be.A.Star.I would love to be part of this program to share my story and to help others in a "dark place."
    I don't know any other actual "things" or organizations that are talking about any of these social justice initiatives.
    But these social initiatives, I feel very passionate about, and I hope many other people(public) see why these issues are important.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just want to say that I'm impressed by the depth of thought that I see in these responses. I look forward to seeing the results as you all continue to explore some of these issues, and really start to think about how you can individually make a difference in addressing the problems you see.

    ReplyDelete